Last week, ACTP hosted it’s 14th annual conference in beautiful Tucson, Arizona! We had approximately 45 different conference sessions about tutoring, training, Supplemental Instruction (SI), academic coaching, peer mentors and everything in between. More than 140 people were able to soak up the sun and a lot of tips to bring back to their learning centers.
A few highlights:
- ACTP has swag: Each year, ACTP makes a call to all conference participants to bring “swag” from their college – this allows us to give out door prizes at every meal. We were astounded by the generosity of our conference goers, who literally filled our conference closet with pens, shirts, flashlights, USB drives, and even a stuffed chiropractic bear! It’s always fun to see the swag game evolve to new heights each year.
- Fun in the Sun: Tucson boasts as astounding 350 days of sunshine and ACTP conference goers were exposed to 3-4 days of that sunshine – plenty of learning time, pool time, and exploration time in historic, downtown Tucson. Shout out to our conference goers who networked and learned more about other centers…in the pool.
- ACTP Awards: We were excited to give out awards to some of our most talented community members. Congrats to Brent Rummage of the University of Louisville’s Reach Math Resource Center who won ACTP Peer Tutor of the Year and Vanessa Flora-Nakoski of McDaniel College’s Writing Center who won the ACTP Hunter Boylan Research Grant Award!
- Keynote Lunch Speaker – Cristal McGill: Our keynote speaker, Dr. Cristal McGill, convinced us of the power of music for our students as well as the necessity to fully examine the circumstances that our students come from.
- Looking Ahead to Orlando: Did you miss this year’s ACTP Conference? Never fear — we’ll be back in Orlando next year. We’ll get plenty of sun, pool time, and learning time then!